Senior Backend Engineer - Ruby (on Rails)
RemotePortugal, Lisboa, LisboaProduct
We are looking for a Senior Backend engineer with a solid track record in Ruby (on Rails). You'll be part of a small and agile team developing our decentralised application stack; building new features, clever integrations with on-chain programs (with the help of our team) and creating real-time value! You will be working together tightly with the product team led by two of the founders and a solid team to build product technology that will allow millions to be part of a financial revolution on-chain.
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Basis, you are expected to continue to build the foundations of our user facing stack and recruit strong talent to assist you in conquering the roadmap we are building.
Who we are
BASIS is basis.markets’ fee-sharing token. Holders can stake their BASIS tokens to receive a proportional share of trading fee rewards generated by the basis.markets Decentralised Basis Liquidity Pool (DBLP). BASIS tokens also give access a high-reward liquidity mining programme as well as discounted deposits into the DBLP in future.
basis.markets is a decentralised liquidity pool, owned by you, powered by the Basis Trade Engine. The DBLP is a fully-managed, cross-exchange, cross-collateralised, liquidity pool offer high yields on non-directional trades.
Controlled by the basis.DAO and managed by financial markets experts and a top-tier trading team, basis.markets has the vision of delivering next-level returns, delta-neutral yield, and real-time insights.
Why do we need you?
One of the key elements to our success is to simplify this enormous complexity into an intuitive and trust building user experience.
- Take the lead in making technical and architectural decisions regarding our stack and specific implementation of critical supporting services
- Interface and align with the On-Chain, Data Engineering and Quant teams on technical scope, decisions, and implications.
- Spearhead the development of the back-end stack across our product suite. Focussing on standardised modular and robust implementation of reusable components and functionality.
- Ensuring our code-base is well kept, tested and usable across the board for expanding our services and engaging with partner projects.
- Working together with the wider engineering team to bring them into the fold and allowing them to work with the tools you and your team build.
- Research new (upcoming) technologies that will considerably improve the user experience and or development time of our products.
- Code review and help junior developers grow technically in their role.
Why work with us?
- You have the opportunity to use your skills to accelerate a financial revolution; a massive FU to the traditional banking system.
- You will be working on features and components that will require you to learn and explore new technologies. The density of knowledge you will acquire is catalysed by the speed of the ecosystem.
- Grow at a pace faster than you have ever experienced and be exposed to financial inside knowledge you would otherwise never gain.
- We are a small, experienced and completely decentralised team. This grants ultimate flexibility and ownership of your time. We care about shipping and iteratively improving together.
- Demonstrable work experience (at least 5 years) in developing and deploying back-end technology for modern web applications in production; experience in Ruby (on Rails).
- You are familar with the latest Rails versions (we use 6.1) and are obsessed with TDD
- You have experience handling and processing huge amounts of data and know when and how to cache in the most effective way
- You have production level experience in deployed web applications running on scalable infrastructure
- You understand the impact of the code you are writing, you are able to think in terms of rendering performance, memory and how things will work out once used by multiple people simultaneously
- Security is permanently at the forefront of every architectural decision.
- Experience with block-chain and dApps is a massive +
- Are comfortable with interacting with the basis community on social media and are willing to associate yourself publicly with basis.markets
- You enjoy a structured project but are not afraid to get started and rework as you go along.
- Perfection is the enemy of speed, you pride yourself in moving fast but making the right decisions early.
- You’re pragmatic; you know when to trade off diving deep with quick fixes
- You are a pioneer and you know sometimes you just have to dive into the deep end and it's safe to do so and that gives you energy
- You are curious and won’t stop searching and asking questions until you find the answer
- You don't wait for answers, you move